Search the Business Directory

Home arrow Overberg Stories
Advertisement

Overberg Stories
Greyton House Independent Village School PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   

GreytonGreyton House Village School is an independent, co-educational English medium school, catering for children from Grades 00 – 9, situated in the beautiful village of Greyton in the Overberg, Western Cape, just 140km from Cape Town.

 

Read more...
 
Historical buildings in Greyton PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   

People playing tennisThe Dutch Reformed Church built in 1918 is an attractive building that stands behind The Post House. The two national monuments in Greyton is The Post House itself and the building now occupied by Plooms Pottery. Interestingly, electricity was supplied to this quaint village only in the late 1970s.
The Greyt-on-Main building is of particular architectural interest as it is the only one of its kind in Greyton - the façade being quite unique.

 

 

 

Read more...
 
Legendary 'Spookhuis' on Mosaic farm PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   

MOSAIC FARM HISTORY

Image For over a century, people have sailed across the lagoon or traveled the old ox-wagon to visit the abandoned “Spookhuis” (Afrikaans for Spook House). Some camped on the grassy shore by the old stone homestead and told scary stories in the moonlit nights. Evidence of their passage was engraved throughout all the plaster walls, one of which commented on the reputation of the house by asserting “This place ain’t haunted”. The Spookhuis is a legend and local landmark.  
 
A twelve month historical restoration returned this enchanting manor house back to its original grandeur. It is now a magnificent facility for weddings, conferences, special events, private parties, and wine dinners.  When the Johnson Family purchased the farm in 2002, the Spookhuis was in a state of complete ruin.  Graffiti filled the walls, floor boards had been torn up and burned inside the home, and doors, windows and most interior trim had been taken out long before.  The only residents of the Spookhuis for over a half century were barn owls, thus the floors were covered with a thick carpet of owl pellets!
 
Cape architect, Gregg Goddard, with his expert knowledge of historical buildings, pieced together building debris to reconstruct the original character of the old homestead.  The house reveals details of the English Georgian Period with a symmetrical façade, spacious proportions of the rooms and windows, and an arched Palladian entry. This style is also evident in the deep-set wooden door and window casings, built-in cupboards, and a central hall.
 

Read more...
 
Stanford word 150 PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   

Stanford Building’n Paar van Stanford se buurdorpe - Hermanus en Greyton -het oor die afgelope twee jaar hul 150ste bestaansjaar gevier - 2007 is die jaar vir Stanford.

Dié mooi dorpie op die oewer van die Kleinrivier het ’n vroeë geskiedenis van boerderybedrywighede wat terugdateer na 1729.

Juriaan Appel van die Warmbad by Caledon was die eerste boer wat by Akkedisberg in Kleinrivierskloof ’n weidingspermit ontvang het. Nadat hy met sy veetroppe na elders vertrek het, het verskeie permithouers hom gevolg. In 1801 het die De Villiers familie by Modderrivier, digby vandag se dorp, gevestig. In dieselfde jaar het Christoffel Brand die plaas Kleinrivier Vallei van die regering ontvang.

 

Read more...
 
The Klein River PDF Print E-mail
Written by Natasha Jansen   

Photo of Klein RivierThe Klein River originates as the Hartebees River, 300 metres above mean average sea level on the northern slopes of the Kleinriver Mountain range.  The catchment divide between the headwaters of the Onrus River (flowing west) and the Hartebees/Klein River (flowing east) is clearly visible when traveling along the Hermel-en-Aarde road from Hermanus to Caledon (on the farm Diepgat).

From the confluence of the Hartebees and Klein Rivers (refer to map), the river is officially known as the Klein River.  Three other rivers flow into the Klein River before it curves south and then west to flow into the Atlantic Ocean at the Klein River lagoon.  Although the Klein River is 80 km long, it is the river with the shortest distance between its origin and mouth in the world (5 km as the crow flies)! 

Read more...
 
150 years of history PDF Print E-mail
Written by Natasha Jansen   

Stanford ChurchPRE-1857

Waving grasslands and a strong stream of fresh water attracted farmers to the Kleijne River Valleij in the old days.  One of them was Christoffel Brand, who built the first farmstead on the farm Kleine Rivier’s Valley.  This was the house in which Lady Anne Barnard stayed over during her inland journey in 1798.

In 1801 the farm was granted by the British Government to Brand.  The farm changed hands several times until it was bought in 1838 by a prosperous Irish farmer, Robert Stanford.  He made many improvements and built the mill (for grinding wheat) close to the stream that ran close to his farm house.

Being an entrepreneurial spirit, he transported products by sea from a small bay (now known as Stanford’s Cove, close to De Kelders), to Cape Town – rather than using the time-consuming route over the Hottentots-Holland Mountain.  Robert Stanford lost his farm after the Neptune tragedy (read more about this in Stanford Stories II) when, being a half-pay officer, he had to supply the British government in Cape Town with produce from his farm.

Philippus de Bruyn bought the farm in 1855, laid out the village and sold plots of which the first was registered in the name of Duncan McFarlane on 30 September 1857.  The village of Stanford was born.

Read more...
 
Sir William Hoy PDF Print E-mail
Written by SJ du Toit   

ImageOne of the holiday-makers who will never be forgotten is William Hoy. Like many other great South African settlers, Hoy was born in Scotland. At the age of 12 he left school and set off to Edinburgh where he found work as a junior clerk on the North British Railways, earning twelve shillings per week. Hoy, who had a beautiful copperplate handwriting, started learning Pitman’s shorthand and soon was earning extra pocket money teaching shorthand at night school.

In 1890, a recruiting officer of the Cape Government Railways arrived in Edinburgh. Hoy successfully applied and soon after, arrived in Cape Town. After only two years in the country, he became chief clerk to the Traffic Manager in Kroonstad and a year later, when he was 27 he was the Transvaal agent for the Railways.  During the Anglo-Boer war, Hoy was in charge of Military Railways, co-ordinating the movement of troops, supplies, horses, etcetera. The Scots claim the three R’s as their decree. Hoy’s were the three D’s: Determination, dedication and domination.

Read more...
 
Hermanus - Whale Capital of the World PDF Print E-mail
Written by SJ du Toit   

Southern Right WhaleHermanus Pieters, a Dutch teacher from Boontjieskraal near Caledon, used to travel with his small flock of sheep from farm to farm during the school holidays, teaching the local children wherever he stayed. During the early 1830s he trekked over the mountain from Hemel-en-Aarde right down to the sea.  There he discovered a strong fountain and some good grazing for his cattle. Thereafter he returned to the place regularly and told the farmers of the district about the good holidaying and fishing spot he had discovered.

Pieters died in 1837 and was buried at Boontjieskraal. By that time his holiday place was already known as Hermanus Pieters’ Fountain.  In 1854, twelve plots were measured out near the fountain and sold at a public auction in Caledon. Twenty years after the old teacher’s death the Henn family of Herrie’s Bay moved to Hermanuspietersfontein. There they discovered a sheltered little harbour and an abundance of fish. Henn and his sons-in-law were the founding pioneers of the new town known as Hermanuspietersfontein. Not long after they settled there, other families followed and became part of the new development. Michiel Henn built the first house on one of the original plots. This was close to where the Grobbelaar Hall stands today.  Others built their houses on crown land near the harbour, where they paid a nominal rent.

Read more...
 
Out and about in Villiersdorp PDF Print E-mail
Written by Natasha Jansen   

Villiersdorp DamAt the heart of a prosperous fruit growing region, Villiersdorp is one of many gems of the Overberg. Ideally situated between Worcester and Grabouw, within driving distance of Franschhoek, this picturesque little town and its friendly inhabitants enjoy a peaceful life in a quiet valley.

 

Read more...
 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 Next > End >>

Results 26 - 50 of 63

Newsflash

Keep ahead of the times with the Overberg Calendar. Submit your upcoming event for free by emailing This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it   with the details of your event.
 

New Business Listings

Poplar House
Category: Self Catering
Created: Dec 13, 2021
Hermanus Physio
https:/...
Category: Hermanus
Created: Dec 23, 2019
Simon's Rooikrans Wood
Category: Hermanus
Created: Aug 16, 2019
The Jolly Rooster...
Category: Restaurants
Created: Jun 25, 2019
icon Architects &...
www.architecthermanus.co
Category: Businesses
Created: Sep 18, 2018
El Al Funeral Services
https:/...
Category: Villiersdorp
Created: Aug 22, 2018
El Al Funeral Services
https://drillcrew.co.za
Category: Stanford
Created: Aug 22, 2018
El Al Funeral Services
https:/...
Category: Gansbaai
Created: Aug 22, 2018
El Al Funeral Services
https:/...
Category: Botrivier
Created: Aug 22, 2018
El Al Funeral Services
https:/...
Category: Kleinmond
Created: Aug 22, 2018
Show more...

Polls

What would you like to see on the site?
 

Top Business Listings


Gretha Quinlan Studio...

Category: Art Galleries
Created: Feb 7, 2014


K Imaging

Category: Photography
Created: Feb 7, 2014


Overberg Design

Category: Grabouw/Elgin
Created: Feb 7, 2014


Autotech & CEO...

Category: Vehicles & Vehicle Services
Created: Feb 7, 2014


Storyline Studio

www.storylinestudio.co.z
Category: Greyton
Created: Mar 14, 2013

Show more...