History of Napier

The village with the old world charm, Napier, offers serenity and quiet charm.  Century-old cottages blend with modern houses resulting in a delightful rural atmosphere.  The hospitality of the people of Napier and the beauty of the surrounding countryside is certain to enrich all and impact the wish to return to enjoy the ambience of Napier again.

Dutch Reformed Church and Feeshuis:  Built in the form of Greek cross with teak interior, a beautiful pipe organ and font made of solid brass.  The Feeshuis, one of the oldest building in town, was used as slave quarters during 1810 – 1820.

Goldmine:  During the 1870/80s gold fever gripped the country.  In the rolling Ruggens (hills) of the Overberg on the farm, Hansiesrivier, a reminder of those years remains.

Giant Sundial:  A giant sundial (probably the biggest in South Africa) on which the time can be told to within half a minute was erected by Danie du Toit in 1965.  It is located at the Municipal offices.  Du toit had no training in this field but gained his knowledge from years of meticulous observation.

Ox-wagon Monument:  To commemorate the ox-wagon trek in 1838.  Erected in 1988.

Grootberg Hiking Trail:  New 8km hiking trail around the summit of the Grootberg.  Large variety of fynbos and bird species.  Starts at the FM-tower.



(028) 423 3325
This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it
 Address:Napier Tourism Bureau
67 Sarel Cilliers Street
Napier 7270